The first VAX Introduced in 1977.
|Year Introduced:||October 1977|
|Clock Speed:||200 ns|
This was the first VAX from Digital Equipment Corporation. The VAX was the successor to the PDP-11, and in order to make the VAX seem more PDP-11 friendly, they retained the -11 moniker for the first VAXen, hence the 11/780 designation. The 11/780 didn't have normal firmware, instead it loaded its microcode from floppy.
SIMH is the only known emulator for the 11/780. SIMH can address up to 128MB of RAM emulating an 11/780. Also the following peripherals are emulated:
- CPU VAX-11/780 CPU
- TLB translation buffer
- SBI system bus controller
- MCTL0,MTCL1 memory controllers, MS780C with 4MB memory each, or MS780E with 8MB-64MB each
- UBA DW780 Unibus adapter
- MBA0,MBA1 RH780 Massbus adapters
- TODR time-of-day clock
- TMR interval timer
- TTI,TTO console terminal
- RX console RX01 floppy disk
- DZ DZ11 8-line terminal multiplexer (up to 4)
- CR CR11 card reader
- LPT LP11 line printer
- RP RP04/05/06/07, RM02/03/05/80 Massbus disks, up to eight drives
- HK RK611/RK06(7) cartridge disk controller with eight drives
- RL RL11/RL01(2) cartridge disk controller with four drives
- RQ UDA50 MSCP controller with four drives
- RQB second UDA50 MSCP controller with four drives
- RQC third UDA50 MSCP controller with four drives
- RQD fourth UDA50 MSCP controller with four drives
- RY RX211 floppy disk controller with two drives
- TS TS11 magnetic tape controller with one drive
- TQ TUK50 TMSCP magnetic tape controller with four drives
- TU TM03 tape formatter with eight TE16/TU45/TU77 drives
- XU DEUNA/DELUA Ethernet controller
- XUB second DEUNA/DELUA Ethernet controller
More information about SIMH's VAX 11/780 emulation can be found here.
The 11/780 was to ship with VMS 1.0.
There was also the VAX-11/785, which was an upgraded version.
|v • d • eVAX Computers, Software and Peripherals|
| Big VAXen - VAX-11/780 • VAX-11/750 • VAX-11/730 • VAX-11/785 • VAX 8600 • VAX 8650 • VAX 8500 • VAX 8530 • VAX 8550 • VAX 8700 • VAX 8800 • VAX 9000
Also: - List of DEC board part numbers