9th floor map
- I wasn't there during the CTSS/Multics era, but later on there was still a huge I-beam running along the floor where '1401/DM PDP-6' is on this map, and I was told that that had been installed to hold the Multics (or CTSS, I forget which) tape drives (or maybe drum). So it may have been all through that end. It shouldn't be hard to find out.
- Also, LISP machines were scattered all over the floor; the prototype CADR, along with the CONS machine and the chess machine (CHEOPS) was in one of 904-906 (I forget which); others were down near AI. Jnc (talk) 22:01, 25 January 2018 (CET)
- Where the ML KA used to be.
- Speaking of the KS10's, I wish I could find a copy of the letter I wrote for Dave Clark to sign, asking for the donation from DEC. I looked on the MIT-CSR machine (whose filesystem I recently recovered), but alas, not there. It must have been on one of the other machines (XX, or one of the ITS's). Jnc (talk) 15:11, 26 January 2018 (CET)
- JNC Aug 1985. "I have organised a campaign to get DEC to give MIT several more of the little critters. A letter was written asking for a donation of several of the machines to MIT (i.e. both LCS and AI); due to the time pressures involved (all of the remaining unsold KS's were about to be scrapped) I couldn't get a lot of big wheels to sign, but Dave Clark did agree to sign the letter and lend his name to the campaign."
- JTW May 1984: "It would appear that I am the slightly surprised recipient of one KS10-AA PDP10 CPU, with 512K MOS memory, 32 TTY lines, and a small DEC disk of some flavor. This object will be arriving in late May or early June."
- Well, I'm pretty sure OZ was along the outer wall there, in the space between 923 (which stayed for a long time, although maybe eventually it was diked - my memory is dim on that) and the corner of the building. Although the AI -6 was not along the wall, but further out, with the AI KA between it and the wall. Jnc (talk) 16:03, 26 January 2018 (CET)
Speaking of VAXen, around the time the MC KL went, LCS got a farm of VAX-11/750's, which lived either in that area, and around the corner a bit (to where the DM -6 and KA used to be); again, I don't recall the exact layout, alas. But it was in that general area. Jnc (talk) 16:03, 26 January 2018 (CET)