DF11 Communications Line Adapter
The DF11 Communications Line Adapter performs two functions for serial line communication interfaces on PDP-11 computers: i) converts from TTL signal levels to the voltages, etc needed by a given serial line standard, and ii) produces the physical connector needed for that standard.
A DF11 usually involves two single-width cards, one holding the circuitry needed, and the other providing, sometimes with a cable plugged into a Berg connector, the interface connector. At least one dual-width adapter (the DF11-B) existed, though.
The DF11 plugs into a common backplane with the serial interface. DF11's are used with DP11, DM11, DH11, DC11, and DL11 UNIBUS serial interfaces (the latter only in DD11-B backplanes). They may also be used in some versions of the PDP-11/05 or PDP-11/10.
DF11 models include:
- DF11-A (M594, M957-BC01R, M970-BC01R for modem cable) - EIA RS-232 adapter
- DF11-BA (M586) - integral modem for connection to a telephone line
- DF11-BB (M587) - integral answer-only modem
- DF11-F (M596, M973) - 20m current loop adapter (up to 300 baud)
- DF11-G (M595, BC01T-BC01Y) - custom interface to a Bell 301/303 modem
- DF11-K (M598, M973) - 4-wire opto-isolated 20mA adapter (up to 2400 baud)