MS750 Memory System
- one Memory Controller module (MCM)
- one to eight memory array modules
The Memory Controller Module connects to the /750's CPU/Memory Interconnect bus, and also to an internal memory bus - which does not seem to have a formal name - which runs to the memory array modules' slots.
The Memory Controller Module (either L0011, L0016, or L0022) resides in a custom slot in the main backplane; slot 10. The memory array modules have their own slots in a dedicated section of the backplane, 8 slots in total. (The physical backplane itself, DEC part number 50-13821/70-16486, is shared with the CPU).
VAX-11/750 Memory Controllers
There were three different Memory Controller Modules for the MS750:
- L0011 - up to eight M8728 256KB memory array modules = 2MB max.
- L0016 - up to eight M8750 1MB memory array modules = 8MB max.
- L0022 - up to two M7199 4MB memory array modules and six M8750 1MB memory array modules = 14MB max.
(14MB of Memory is the architectural limit of the VAX-11/750)
- VAX-11/750 Memory System Technical Description (EK-MS750-TD-001)
- Comet Memory Unit Field Maintenance Print Set (MP01404) - covers the L0016
- M8750 Field Maintenance Print Set (MP01398) - very faint scans
- 11/730-Z Field Maintenance Print Set (MP01270) - the M8750 is covered in MS730-C Field Maintenance Print Set (MP01366) (pp. 292-12 of the PDF)