From Computer History Wiki
Floppy/Hard disk interleaving
I'd like to add a page Floppy/Hard disk interleaving. There's already the page Interleaving which I thought should be renamed to Memory interleaving, but there's a lot of pages linking to the current name.
- No solution to your problem, but how about the term sector interleaving? Larsbrinkhoff (talk) 15:48, 29 July 2023 (CEST)
- I was going to suggest 'disk interleaving', but someone might misunderstand that to mean something like RAID-0. So 'sector interleaving' is really the way to go.
- The Right Thing is to make 'interleaving' a disambiguation page, rename the existing 'interleaving' page to 'memory interleaving'. (I didn't think to do that when I set it up, because sector interleaving wasn't anything I ran into in my career; I never used floppies much.) I'd do it, but I don't have the time to fix all the pages that currently link to interleaving right now; as you point out, there are a lot of them. Jnc (talk) 17:17, 29 July 2023 (CEST)
- I've started fixing the pages that link to interleaving; you will have to write sector interleaving, though. Jnc (talk) 06:49, 30 July 2023 (CEST)
- Thanks for your help, I'll do the sector interleaving page then. By the way: there was interleaving with hard disks as well. Vaxorcist (talk) 19:07, 30 July 2023 (CEST)
- I hadn't done the disambiguation page yet because there are still pages which refer to interleaving, and I wanted to get them all fixed before I made the redirect stop working.
- If you have the energy to do all sorts of pages, how about doing all the CDT and PRO pages? Jnc (talk) 13:41, 31 July 2023 (CEST)
- I must admit that I rather adhere to a somewhat "intuitive" order instead of a logical one. Another reason: especially the PRO page (there's a draft already) is way more work than I thought initially. It made me use Xhomer (the PRO simulator) for the first time to try P/OS and VENIX - all items worth writing about. Trying to read P/OS RX50 images on the SIMH simulator lead me to the difference between "logical" and "physical" sector order, which resulted in the "Sector Interleaving" page. So the circle closes ... Vaxorcist (talk) 16:19, 31 July 2023 (CEST)