Research Laboratory of Electronics
The Research Laboratory of Electronics is an inter-departmental research center at MIT; it was started in 1946 as the successor to the famous Radiation Laboratory (of World War II) at MIT. Among many other fields, it became involved in early work on computers; the TX-0 moved there in 1954, and it later received one of the first PDP-1's.
J. C. R. Licklider performed early research there, before he became involved with computers. It became associated with the Tech Model Railroad Club (TMRC); they both became a center for early computer hackers - that group was later the core of the hacker group which moved to Project MAC.
- Steven Levy, Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution, Doubleday, Garden City, 1984