Unix System V, Release 3 was released in 1987. The final version was Release 3.2 in 1988.
- Transport Layer Interface (TLI) network API (TCP/IP, sockets, NFS and BSD network tools were added by dictributors)
- Remote File System (RFS)
- File System Switch (FSS) virtual file system mechanism
- 2K file system (optionally)
- Static shared libraries, early implementation with mkshlib and COFF
- ID (Installable Drivers) subsystem (actually, kernel re-linking from the set of object files)
- XENIX compatibility on i386 (and early iBCS compatibility)
Sys V R3 on AT&T 3B2
The AT&T 3B2 computer was a "porting base" for the Release 3. Thanks to Seth J. Morabito an AT&T 3B2/400 Simulator is now a part of SIMH. It can run "real" AT&T UNIX System V Release 3 on the simulator. Source code is also avaialable (but may be a subject to copyright).
It includes full SGS for WE-32000 CPU.
There was also a Wollongong WIN3B TCP/IP software (not AT&T's TCP/IP implementation) for Nicom Interlan 3B2 Ethernet card.
See more at The AT&T 3B2 Computer archive.
Sys V R3 on i386
AT&T Sys V/386
V/386 3.2.3 for AT&T 6386 machine. (Not tested on emulators)
Available at bitsavers.org: binaries
Includes SGS package:
- C Software Development System 4.1.6 9/26/88
Interactive Systems Corporation 386/ix
System V V/386 Release 3.2 made by Interactive Systems Corporation
A blog post about this version.
# uname -a unix unix 3.2 2 i386
Includes X Window with Motif and Looking Glass desktop developed by Visix Software.
Includes SGS package:
- C Software Development System 4.1.5 10/3/89
Microport's System V/386 3.2.2 made by Microport. Plain vanilla version, very close to AT&T 3.2 sources. No BSD extensions, no X Window. SGS and TCP/IP are not available (yet?).
May fail on many emulators, it does something strange with emulated VGA. To avoid this, choose a machine configuration with CGA display adaptor.
May fail on emulated i386. Select a i486.
See also: Microport System V about R2 port to i286.
Wyse was a manufacturer of the terminals and multiport serial hardware. Also Wyse was a player on the Unix market. In 2011 an incomplete 5" diskette set was found. Later someone found a more complete distributive on a QIC cassete. In 2015 a challenge to run it in emulator was organized. Finally Wyse Unix was virtualized in 2015.
Like Microport version it has an issues with emulated VGA and i386.
Wyse System V version 3.2.1A
It includes a full SGS Package
- C Software Development System 4.1.5 3/31/88
Also it includes TCP/IP, BSD networking utilities and man pages set.
Sys V R3 on RS/6000
There was an IBM AIX Version 3 (also known as AIX/6000), based on System V Release 3, for their POWER-based RS/6000 platform.
Sys V R3 on MIPS
MIPS RISC/os was a System V Release 3 for MIPS architecture with BSD extensions.
- System V Release 3
- System V 386 Release 3.2 documentation at Bitsavers
- UNIX System V 386 Release 3.2 Release Notes
- AT&T Source Code Provision Install for 3B2
- Core source code of System V.3 for 3B2 (which was the base platform for this version)
|v • d • e UNIX Versions, Vendors and Related|
| Research Unix PDP-7 UNIX • UNIX First Edition • UNIX Second Edition • UNIX Third Edition|
UNIX Fourth Edition • UNIX Fifth Edition • UNIX Sixth Edition • Unix Seventh Edition
Unix Eighth Edition • Unix Ninth Edition • Unix Tenth Edition
LSX • MINI-UNIX • Unix/32V