DH11 asynchronous serial line interface
The DH11 asynchronous serial line interface is a UNIBUS device which supports up to 16 asynchronous serial lines; as a UNIBUS device, it was usable on the PDP-11 and VAX computers. Although it first appeared very early on in the lifetime of the PDP-11, it was extremely powerful and flexible.
The parameters for each line:
- separate input and output baud rates (50 to 9600)
- character length (5-8 bits)
- stop bits (1, 1-1/2 and 2)
- parity (odd, even, none)
could be set dynamically (unlike, for example. the DJ11, which set parameters for groups of lines using jumpers). Output used DMA (with each line having its own buffer pointer and count); on input a 64-character FIFO buffer made over-runs unlikely.
A 'break' condition on the line (i.e. continuous assertion) could also be generated and detected.
The original implementation took an entire double system unit, containing multiple cards (see list below).
It came in 'earlier' and 'later' versions: in the 'early' versions the line conditioning units (to adapt from TTL to either EIA, 20mA, etc) were installed in a separate rack-mounted dual-height backplane (which required its own independent power supply); in the 'later' units line conditioning was performed by boards mounted in the main backplane, and a rack-mounted passive distribution panel provided connectors for individual lines.
For the 'early' versions, the available line conditioning units included the DM11-DA (20mA line conditioning) and the DM11-DA (EIA, no modem conrol). Each supported four lines; thus, line conditioning could be mixed in groups of four.
For modem control, a single DM11-BB per DH11, mounted in the main DH11 backplane along with the rest of the DH11 cards, was required, which in turn connected to four DM11-DC's.
The 'later' versions only supported EIA-type line conditioning (with or without model control).
The 'early' versions of the DH11 were:
- DH11-AA - Basic unit (110VAC), requires DM11's in addition
- DH11-AB - Telegraph line version (see below)
- DH11-AC - Basic unit (220VAC), requires DM11's in addition
The 'later' versions were:
- DH11-AD - EIA level conversion, modem control, H317-B passive distribution panel
- DH11-AE - EIA level conversion, no modem control, H317-B passive distribution panel
For the telegraph line option, the line conditioning backplane and its power supply were omitted, and up to two DH11's were connected to a DC08CS Telegraph Converter Panel.
The 'basic' DH11 included the following boards:
- M7277 - Transmit scanner and NPR
- M7278 - Registers and byte count
- M7279 - FIFO buffer
- M7280 (2) - Multiple UARTs
- M7288 - Line parameters control
- M7289 - Receiver scanner
- M4540 - Crystal clock
- M796 - Unibus master control
- M7821 (2) - Interrupt control (transmit and receive)
The 'later' versions both included:
- M5906 EIA conversion module
The -AD version, which included modem control, also used:
- M7807 - Mux and Bus Control
- M7808 - Mux and Modem Scan Control
The line conditioning units used in the 'early' versions included, in the DM11-DA:
- M596 - TTL to 20mA Level Converter (4 channels each)
- M973 - Mate-N-Lok header
and in the DM11-DB:
- M594 - TTL to EIA Level Converter (4 channels each)
- W404 - DTR Jumper card
The DM11-DC used only the M594.
|v • d • e PDP-11 Computers and Peripherals|
|UNIBUS PDP-11s - PDP-11/20 • PDP-11/15 • PDP-11/35 • PDP-11/40 • PDP-11/45 • PDP-11/50 • PDP-11/55 • PDP-11/70 • PDP-11/05 • PDP-11/10 • PDP-11/34 • PDP-11/04 • PDP-11/44 • PDP-11/60 • PDP-11/24 • PDP-11/84 • PDP-11/94|